Friday, August 14, 2009

Summer Reading for Schools

School started here yesterday and my daughter had her first test on one of the books assigned for summer reading. I won't mention the titles but I will say the books were extremely boring and one of them was almost impossible to follow. My daughter read them because I made her but many of her friends didn't read their books. I'm wondering why can't they assign books that a teen might actually enjoy reading. Forcing students to read books that hold no appeal certainly won't teach them a love of books.

I was never assigned summer reading as a child but I read for the love of it. Very few, if any of my daughter's friends read for fun. If schools made better selections on assigned reading, I wondering would that change?

Have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Oh, don't get me started... you're right. If we could lose the snoozers and bring back some of the better classics (Huck Finn??) and expand the kids' exposure, they'd ALL be reading.